Thursday, April 2, 2009

Learning to Render Rooms


The above photo is the first room perspective I did.  I was to design a one room space with a kitchen, dining room, and living room.  I chose whatever I wanted to put in the space.  Then when we rendered the space we were to divide the room in four and use a different media and different types of paper for each section.  On the first section (L-R) I used marker on vellum.  I didn't think this worked well because it was hard to control, hard to hide strokes, and show shadow.  On the second one I used colored pencil on drawing paper.  I felt that this was a good technique, but over larger areas it was hard to color evenly.  The third one I used marker on marker paper.  This was very fun to play with to learn to use and I felt like I did really well showing light and shadows.  The fourth one is watercolor on watercolor paper.  I am still learning to use watercolor, so it was kind of difficult to show light and shadow, but practice makes perfect.


This assignment was called trading spaces.  When it was first new to HGTV I loved this show and never missed an episode.  We were to trade rooms with another students room and take inspiration from theirs and change the room to best suit us.  We could change color, rearrange furniture, or totally change everything. I used Kristina Ragan's room to do mine.  I changed the windows in the dining area, moved the dining area, raised the floor in the kitchen, and added more seating to the living room.  I took green from here room before and then added more color to the room.  I love color, especially orange and anything bright.


No comments: