Wednesday, March 31, 2010

INVOLVING + EVOLVING

Today we presented phase two of our Unity Village project. Everyone worked really hard and today it showed in the presentations!!

PART 1:

For Neighborhood B on the ground floor I feel David and Ino did a good job. There colors and materials were a good choice, it gave off a cozy feeling for when the residents enter into the building on that floor. The community garden was a good idea since residents don't have their own yard to maintain, it gives them a place to work and have a hobby as well as meet new people. I think to improve the space it could have softer textures used throughout the space. The presentation was laid out nice; I would just say to add a few more scale figures into the perspectives to show how the users would interact in the space and with each other.

For the first floor, Kelsey, Charese, and Kalani, they did a good job with their concept. I feel that mixing the old with new worked well to relate to the residents in the space. The way they approached the design was good, by taking old items and working with the scale of making them larger. I liked the materials used in the caf, the textiles on the furniture worked well in the room. And I like the ceiling light tiles. The perspectives did a nice job of showing the spaces. The only concern I have was that I don’t feel like this floor connected with the other two floors as well as it could have. I think the materials were darker then the other two floor having light airy colors.

For the second floor, Jeff and Felicia did a good job showing their concept in the space. In the presentation they talked about their concept being flowing and moving, and I definitely saw that in the floor plan by the walls being curved. The perspectives were rendered nicely, they worked well together even by having two different people rendering them. In the gym area for the track, I don’t really know how well that works, I know in our design ideas we had planned to have a track, but the space was too small to have one, and I felt like in theirs that the 90 degree angles would be a harsh turn for the knees and short straight-aways aren’t as ideal as they need to be, unless maybe it’s just used for walking. I liked how they showed the inspiration image on each slide, it really helped to show where their ideas came from and where they drew inspiration.

PART 2:

I think our team did a good job in showing the perspectives and really show how the space would be used. I think our ideas were consistent through out the whole floor by using the organic and curved walls and lines and also having some of the same materials used through out the floor. I think that areas that could be improved were on our slides there were a little darker then what we actually planned, so maybe adding more light fixtures. We thought about the users in the space, but maybe relating it more to all the groups instead of one specific group of users. I think as a team our design process was good, but because we split up the rooms, due to time constraints our ideas through out the rooms were disconnected. So next time taking the time to get ideas and how we will connect each room together. We did lay out the floor to have the library and worship areas on one end of the hall since they were more quiet spaces and have the gym and medical clinic on the other end where they would be more noisy.

No comments: