Friday, February 12, 2010

MakeShift Shelter

For this project, I feel like my team worked great together. We all got along and all had ideas to bring to the table. After coming up with a concept of a pea pod, we all had ideas to share. We drew what we though the shape should be and what we thought of when it comes to sleeping. It should be dark, quiet, and comfortable. Fabrics, soft materials, and plain colors were materials I thought we should look for to make our shelter.

We all were hard workers and helped with no questions. I helped by finding materials, taking pictures, laying out the graphics, and putting the shelter together.

Drawing ideas in the sketchbook helped when we had questions about how the shelter would look and seeing the proportions. It was also easier to see other team members’ ideas on paper when they were explaining their ideas.

An important decision I made was that it would be made for two users. The size of our shelter was an appropriate choice. If it were two smaller people they would fit comfortably. A smaller person and a larger person would fit snug; while a larger person would have some room. The height of the shelter was appropriate because it doesn’t feel too big and open and it is not so small so the person feels uncomfortable.

My shelter was a great success because of how well my team worked together and we communicated well. We got the shelter made and the graphic put up on time with time to spare. I wasn’t stressed for a minute and knew we would have it done because of how hard we worked during the week. I think that the shelter turned out great because the shape sufficed and really mirrored our concept. The comfort was pleasant, the foam worked well and the extra padding added support.

The project has affected my way of thinking by challenging me to consider how a person who has lost a lot could build something for shelter. They can’t just go to the nearest hardware store and buy materials to build a shelter. They have to use found materials and really think about how they will use it. When I was making the shelter I was thinking a lot about how people without anything have really survived and can make a place for themselves.

I will remember this project by having our graphic on the wall above our desks. It would be nice if there was enough room to have our sleeping shelter at our desks for late nights and quick naps or relaxing but since there isn’t any room I will just have to cut a piece of the shelter to keep at my desk.

No comments: