Monday, February 15, 2010

My Sisters House


Today was the grand opening of My Sisters House. It is a house that IARC students who took Urban Studio got to build. It was built for teenage girls who are in a crisis pregnancy to live in the house together. This is a great way to have community between the girls who are going through the same thing. The house is very unique and and built nicely, but I don't think it fits in well with the surrounding houses. The inside looks great and I especially like the design of the cabinets. I wasn't a big fan of the green walls although I liked the thought of having the certain walls painted different then just white. I don't know how safe the concrete floors will be for the children who will be living there. They're kids so most likely they will crawl, walk or even run and might trip and fall and concrete floors isn't the safest material. I would be buying lots of carpets to cover the floors. My favorite design of the house was the rectangular window. The windows were a variety of different size rectangles and they were also oriented vertical and horizontal.

It was a very neat project that they worked on and I'm sure lots of hard work went into the house and I wish I would have had the opportunity to be a part of the project. And I hope there will be another Urban Studio that I can be a part of before I finish school.


No comments: